Thursday 19 October 2017

Interview with Janet Nissenson



Janet is a lifelong resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, and currently resides on the northern California coast with her husband Steve and Golden Retriever Max. She worked for more than two decades in the financial services industry before turning her focus to producing running events. She is a former long-distance runner, current avid yoga practitioner, is addicted to Pinterest, likes to travel and read. She has been writing for more than three decades, with her first book in the Inevitable Series -  Serendipity - published in December 2013. 
Books so far are... The Splendor Series: Covert - Crave - Claim,

The Inevitable Series: Serendipity - Splendor - Shattered - Sensational - Serenity - Stronger 

1. What is your favourite childhood book? – a tie between A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson and The Fairy Doll by Rumer Godden

2. Has a book ever made you cry? If yes which – I’m sure there has been but I can’t think of a specific title at the moment.  I tend not to read real tearjerkers.  But one movie that always makes me cry every time I watch it is Splendor In the Grass.

3. What is your favourite Genre to read? & What are you currently reading? – My favorite is contemporary romance with an occasional paranormal tossed in.  I just finished reading Nalini Singh’s Archangel’s Viper, and it was brilliant as always.  Not sure what I’m going to read next, maybe Seeing Red by Sandra Brown, though I’m waiting/hoping for the price to come down a bit.

4. When you're not writing what do you like to do in your down time? - I try to keep as active as possible, doing some sort of exercise every day – yoga, jogging/walking, cycling, lifting weights.  So if I’m not writing chances are good I’m at the yoga studio, gym, or the park.

Alright lets talk writing.....

5. What first inspired you to write? - I’ve been writing since I was a pre-teen, something I was more or less compelled to do in school during English and Creative Writing classes.  I found it came easy to me, so I continued to do so as the years went by. 

6. How do you come up with ideas for your stories? - I strive to make them about realistic situations and characters, but at the same time keep them interesting and entertaining.  Sometimes the ideas come from real life inspiration, either things that happened to me or that I’ve read about in the news.  Other times it’s just my overactive imagination at work!

7. What kind of research do you do & how long do you spend researching before beginning a book? - Not a lot of time doing research per se.  I try not to get into too much detail, for example, about a particular character’s profession because I think readers find all of those details boring.  But if I’m setting a scene in a place I’m not familiar with, I’ll do just enough research to describe it accurately.  Same thing with medical conditions.  One of the minor characters in one of my books was bipolar, so I did just enough research to describe her symptoms correctly, but overall it wasn’t the major focus of the plot.

8. Are you indie or traditionally published? - I’m indie published.  I actually like the freedom that affords me, so that I have control over the type of book I write, cover art, length, and publishing timeframe.  Though, of course, if a renowned publishing house approached me I would definitely have to consider their offer!

9. Would you rather write standalone, standalone with connections to your other works, or multi book series? - I prefer connected standalones.  That way readers don’t necessarily have to start with the first book of the series.  And I personally hate cliffhangers, and then having to wait months before the next book is out, so I don’t write those sort of stories.

10. What is your main Genre of writing & would you ever be interested in writing other Genres? - I write contemporary romance, and I would call it steamy as opposed to erotic.  The only other genre I would ever be interested in writing is what’s known as chick-lit, which is basically contemporary romance with less emphasis on the romantic element.

11. What is your most recent/up coming release? - I just released Stronger, which is the sixth and final book in my Inevitable series, all connected standalones.

12. Do you ever base your characters, events or places on real people, events or places? - Yes, all the time!  All six of the books are at least partially based in San Francisco, where I was born and grew up.  One of my couples works at a stock brokerage firm, and I worked in that industry for over twenty years.  Another heroine is a yoga teacher, and I’ve been a devoted practitioner for almost twenty years.  I try to use locations where I’ve personally visited, and also reference movies, books, foods, etc. that I’m familiar with.

13. Who has been your favourite character to write about so far? - I think Lauren in book four, Sensational, mostly because she’s such a fearless, outspoken woman, and some of her escapades were really fun to create.  But my favorite couple is hands down Tessa and Ian from Splendor, so much that I spun their story off into a trilogy of their own.  Those two put the romantic into romance.

14. Who has been your most difficult character to write about so far? - For sure Angela in Shattered, because she wasn’t necessarily a likeable character and had made some bad life choices.  That book was also the darkest of the ones I’ve written.

And lastly we're all interested in knowing???

15. What are you working on now? - Up next is a holiday-themed anthology featuring all six couples from the books, and it will be released as a free read to my newsletter subscribers.  After that is a brand new trilogy of linked standalones that I plan on releasing in 2018.

Want to see more from Janet Nissenson find her here 





Amazon Author Profile - http://amzn.to/2blpG6n

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

Thank You Janet Nissenson for taking the time for this interview. It's been fun, We look forward to seeing whats to come!! 



Post a Comment

Instagram

© MillsyLovesBooks. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.